Friday, March 14, 2008

SXSW the third

With over 1500 bands and 80 venues it makes it hard to know who to try and catch here. That said - there's no excuse not to be listening to music pretty much from the time you wake up till the time you drag yourself back to bed.
Stand outs so far:
REM put on a very good show - not in my top 10 favorite shows of all time, but I'm really glad I've now seen them.
The Blow - more performance art than music - that girl was mesmerizing in a I-can't-believe-what-I'm-seeing kind of way.
Islands - fantastic, epic, theatrical. Not to be missed if you get the chance.
Tim Fite - like a maniacal baptist preacher, mixing performance art with rock and roll. Stunningly weird.
The Weakerthans - it's been probably 5 years since I've seen them and man are they sounding good now - some good ole canadian boys.
DeVotchKa - gypsy music done right. Looking to woo someone, this is the music for you.
Billy Bragg - his usually inspirational combative self.
Pinetop Perkins - a legendary Chicago blues man - still has the chops.

Countless others I've seen a song or two in passing walking passed the bars on 6th street. I'm definitely going to be busy on iTunes when I get home.

No comments: