Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Stories

When you boil it right down, I work for a company that tells stories.

Now personally, I think that's just plain cool. And scary at the same time. Apparently it takes 150 people 3 years to tell a story these days.

They say that every story has already been told. Everything is just some variation of an archetype that has already been written. I guess that explains all the crap that comes out of Holywood these days.

I got to thinking the other night about how story telling might have started. Were stories told before there was even language? Were grunts and gestures used to pass along knowledge of a successful hunt, for instance? When did people start using their imagination? Where did these archetypes come from?

As I've said before, I really need a switch to turn off my brain some nights.

No comments: