Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Video killed the radio star

I went to see the World's best commercials the other week - that collection of TV commercials that were recognized at the annual Clio awards. (http://www.clioawards.com/home/)
Usually there are some very entertaining ones - some funny, some thought provoking, some just plain strange.
Normally, on my way to work my brain is pretty much in auto-pilot mode, but today for some reason I was actually able to register some of what I was listening to and it made me wonder - why are there no good radio commercials?
Not one of them is witty, entertaining, or the least bit worth listening to (with the exception of some radio station promo spots - like Garner Andrews, but those don't really count as ads).
All we get is a steady stream of ads for cars or matresses or some other shit that we don't need to buy that sound like they are being read by some monster truck announcer.
Is it so impossible to come up with a clever radio ad?

No comments: